Wednesday, September 17, 2014

WIP Wednesday - Return of the selvages & Christmas jammies!

It seems like I'm up to my eyeballs in partially finished tasks lately... and not just in the studio. I swear if there aren't some finishes soon, I'm gonna lose my mind! ☺

During some Quilt Therapy time with the Squares this past week-end, I quilted the selvage pillow-turned-wall hanging from last week. I opted to emphasize the chevron-y-ness (yup, totally made up that word) of the piece.
I didn't want to distract from the selvages... it's really quite busy... so I opted for white thread. In pictures, it only shows well on the back. But I was amazed at the texture that the quilting added to the front. I think it's best viewed in person though!

And I finally got off the fence and made a decision on how to quilt the Plus Two quilts.
Still only showing you a sneaky-peek... patience, grasshoppers, patience! They're all ready to be trimmed and bound!

I did manage to finish these little cuties...

Christmas jammies! They're from a pattern by Made by Rae called Big Butt Baby Pants. The pattern was really easy to understand (the only mistake I made was purely a result of my own carelessness) and includes 6 sizes ranging from 0-3 months to 2T. What a steal at 10$ for the digital download! Himself was a little sad that I didn't have enough fabric to make matching ones for him! I couldn't resist making another pair. Funny, he didn't want ones like these...
Big Butt Clown Pants! In keeping with the long standing tradition of dressing your children in clothes you wouldn't be caught dead in....

With the leftover scraps of the Christmas jammies (and a number of much searched for matching flannels), I'm going to make the babies a Christmas play blanket.

Babies a couple months old don't really need Christmas presents.... but this one will be quick and make for a good backdrop for the inevitable first Christmas photo madness!

Hope you found some time to sew this week! I'm linking up with WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced as well as Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts.


Friday, September 12, 2014

Friday Finish! - Gotta love a zipper pouch!

The September meeting of the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild was last night and we had another fantastic exchange! This time - zipper pouches! The style and size was totally up to the makers. Here's what I whipped up!

When I saw the pattern in Issue 10 of Love Patchwork & Quilting (sent to me by a lovely Global Scrap Bee mate), I knew I had to make it! This is one magazine that could make me break my quilting mag fast... there's just so many good things in there! So tempting!
I whipped up the paper pieced cassette block in short order...even though it was a challenge finding something round to make the cassette reels and getting that little bit of selvage positioned perfectly to act as the label. And then... hmmm.... how to make it into a zipper pouch? Luckily, I remembered those Noodlehead Road Trip Cases I made recently and went for the leftover vinyl in my closet.
I made sure to sneak one of my labels on before I added the vinyl back and bound it...
I'd be lying if I said I'm not tempted to make another one... it was hard to give away! But the deal was, bring a zipper pouch, get a zipper pouch. What did I take home? Why this little lovely!
 It even features a bottom gusset so it will stand on its own and I do love a good owl print!
There were so many lovely pouches flying around... if you keep a watch on our guild's blog, you'll likely see pics of all of them!


P.S. I'm linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts... I mean, it's Friday afterall!

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

WIP Wednesday - It's selvage time!

It's been another week of late night sewing... no matter what I try, I don't seem to be able to fall asleep much before 3 am. Oh well... As I said last week, I'm a little stumped on how to quilt a few of my WIPs, and part of me just felt like playing a little this week, so I dug out the selvage bin...
And had a good look at my selvage inspiration board on Pinterest. I found this little lovely from the Berlin Quilter, but sadly there was no tutorial. I had to put my Q-D skills to work and come up with my own measurements. I opted to make each rectangular section 3½ by 9½ with the goal of an 18 inch finished pillow.
 There's something about working with selvages that turns me into a messy quilter...
Now that the top's done, I'm not so sure I want it to be a pillow. I don't have a suitable place for a pillow of this sort to live... but I do have a few empty spaces on the walls on my new studio. Hmmm.... 

While I was playing with my selvages, I came across a whack of Amy Butler selvages and decided to whip a new insert for my phone case. Himself bought me this lovely clear case for Christmas... I can fill it with whatever fabric I want (though I will admit that I've only had a couple different prints in there since Christmas).
I figured if I made a few inserts at a time, I might change it more often!

I'm linking up with WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced as well as Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts.
Hope you had time for some sewing this week!