Wednesday, January 22, 2014

WiP and ANOTHER snow day!

I think the apocalypse is near. My school has cancelled twice this winter for snow! This never, ever... did I mention never?... happens! So I get a bonus day of relaxing and sewing! I've been working on some pillows for the living room. I finished one on the week-end, but only had center block of the second one done. This paper pieced star let me use up the extra bits I cut for the EPP pillow!
It's free pattern from Craftsy. Thank goodness Q-D has her Craftsy account tied to FaceBook or I'd have forgotten all about this little lovely!
I quilted the living daylights out of this one. Through each point of the stars and then echo quilting in the cream areas. The narrow Paprika border almost matches our barstools.
And done! All ready for me to curl up with a mug of hot chocolate and my Kindle!
 Doesn't it look nice with it's pillow pal? Now I'm plotting covers for the other two pillows in the room!
And, in an effort to cross something off my WiP list, I quilted another version of this project from back in the summer. My HST method gave me doubles! On the first version, I quilted in the ditch, but this time, I opted for something to really emphasize the chevrons formed by the HSTs. I like it so much better.... I might even re-quilt the original.
I used Chartreuse as the backing and Cactus as the binding. There's a certain friend who loves these shades and has a birthday in a couple months. Never hurts to be prepared! How Girl Guide of me!
The WiP I really wanted to be working on was this...
But I'm so stumped on how to quilt it. I was thinking about echo quilting the inner star and doing chevrons within the coloured bits. But what colour thread?
I've been testing... charcoal, capri, wasabi, orange. The lovely backing I've chosen in a white and aqua chevron doesn't make my decision any easier. Thoughts? If so, please share.


I know not everyone gets a snow day, but I hope you made it a sew day!

 J
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
P.S. I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for WiP Thursday. Don't ask... just check it out.

10 comments:

  1. Your star is stunning and the quilting added some really nice dimension.

    My vote would be the blue but then I'm partial to blue. In your photo it adds a nice pop of colour without being so in your face as the yellow or orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pillows! I am partial to gray for the quilting because it would pull everything together but I realize this is the safe choice. Aqua would look good on all the colours. Or maybe go two (or more) colours, in unequal proportions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote all the colours!! And i love the idea of echoing the star! I'm here to make more work for you ;)
    Though just the grey would be fantastic... but as you know i'm quite partial to grey!
    Your pillows look great! I have that star pinned to use as well, someday i'll get around to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! I am leaning toward using all the colours as Dominique and Snips suggested! Stay tuned for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely pillow. striking design with the white. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first star is a stunning pattern, and a stunning color selection. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so jealous of your snow day! Your pillows are adorable. For the star quilt, I love all of the colors you tested!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pillows are stunning!! Gorgeous colors and perfect quilting!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html