Wednesday, February 05, 2014

WiP - En-deer-ing!

At some point, I'm going to run out of puns for this quilt, but it hasn't happened yet! It's so kitschy, I can't resist!

So even though I didn't have all the blue strips cut, I took advantage of the first ever MMQG Sew In to get started this past week-end. We definitely had a room with a view... not that you can tell so much from my blurry photo! Our sewing space looked out on Halifax Harbour and, on a sunny winter Saturday, it was lovely!
I started off with his deer ☺ little face. Can you see it? It's okay if you can't... the black square on the left is half of his nose and the other black square is his eye!
And the blocks just kept on coming... this one doesn't look like much, but it's part of his considerable set of antlers.
 
The blocks aren't too tough to put together, but having a whole table to myself helped since I had piles 18 piles of blue, brown, and black strips spread out everywhere!
It was driving some of my MMQG pals a little crazy that I wasn't making the blocks in order. I wouldn't normally work in such a haphazard way, but where I didn't have all the blue fabric, I wanted to make sure my various prints end up well distributed. I was glad to have my design wall (read as fuzzy backed picnic tablecloth!).  I used my trusty green painters tape to number the blocks.
Nine down, just eleven to go! Yesterday saw me headed to my LQS to pick up (even more) blue prints... is it bad when the staff notice that you've come in all by yourself instead of with your rowdy quilting pals? On the up side, they also know me well enough to let me know that there's a new shipment of quilting cotton coming next week.

I'm doing my usual and linking up with WiP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!

Hope you found some time for a little WiP action this week!
J


10 comments:

  1. Not sure if I understood correctly. This is going to be a deer? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pattern- and the entire book, as you saw over on my blog. Can't wait to see your deer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are we really rowdy?? Okay...I admit...sometimes we do take over the store LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Deer! Well at least they're not calling you at home to let you know of new fabric shipments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to to be super fun when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still driving me crazy. I mean, I did see the image in the book, but I just can't look at that design wall! finish this top at once!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I love the randomness of your block making. I got bogged down in the City Sampler quilt last year and decided to make a few (easy) blocks out of order. Umm, never mind, I won't tell you how that worked otu for me. I look forward to seeing your finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that book! I made the owl a couple of years ago (half size for a baby) and really want to do another!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a fan of the deer and I know you will make it awesome! You will find your "click" moment soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have my curiousity peaked....is there going to be a deer in this quilt??? Nice what you were able to do so far.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html