Wednesday, April 23, 2014

WIP Wednesday - How about those Habs?

So yeah... this one's actually been in progress for a while, but where I haven't been posting much lately (more on that another day), it's not actually made it to the blog!

I mentioned way back in my post for the March link-up when I made a change to my Library Project choices. At that stage, I had really only gotten as far as falling in love with the pattern and buying a load of fabric! Time to get started!
In an odd move, the pattern designer has you make the borders to begin... that's a first! They're so large that I had to find a creative way to store them until ready for use!
Up next, the rink corners. I'm not a huge fan of curved piecing, but what the heck... I can make four blocks, right?
 So much pinning...
Pretty smooth, eh? Especially when I think the pattern pieces printed in a strange way and are just a little small...
Once the rink corners where done, it was on to something a little more fun... improv piecing the lines. If you don't know much about hockey, these are not purely decorative, but pretty danged important when it comes to the rules of our national winter game!
Instead of piecing separate lines, you make one big blue line and one big red line and cut 'em down to size. It means the lines aren't unique, but I don't think most people will notice in the finished product. Time to break out the white Kona strips! I thought about using a tone on tone to break up the BIG expanses of white, but it just didn't feel right.
And here it is!
It may look done to you, but there's still a bunch of appliqué (yes, I said appliqué) to go. Goalie creases and face off circles will make this look even more realistic. There's also more borders to go... I struggled with these borders. Part of me wants to work in the colours of the recepient's favourite team, but I've always stayed away from making quilts for kiddos that reflect too closely their current tastes. I mean, things change, right? I opted for this Robert Kaufman print (I also used it's blue cousin for the lines). Grey is one of the colours of J Boy's current minor hockey association. That should work, right?
Up next, some scary appliqué. I'd be lying if I said progress wasn't stalled at this point. I just don't machine appliqué well and I'm concerned about the durability of a hand appliquéd section on a predominately white quilt destined for a pre-teen boy!

I'm so happy to have made it in under the wire - I'm linking up with Adrienne over at Chezzetcook Modern Quilts for the April Link-up of the Library Project!

J

P.S And since it's Wednesday afterall, I'm linking up with WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced and the Needle & Thread Network!

16 comments:

  1. Great idea!!! I'm sure it's going to turn out awesome and he's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this will be a cool quilt for a young hockey fan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great so far! Hopefully the applique goes as well as the curve piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you really don't have to finish it until the playoffs are finished right? So you have till June! Very fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking great! Can't wait to see the quilt finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope those darn Habs have won their last game....for this season anyways. Booo Habs!!!! The quilt on the other hand, is awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH, and the black for the border is another Dazzle cousin. I think these might replace NP for me...well maybe.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's coming along wonderfully, and the curves look great (not one of my fave things to piece, either!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful quilt... love the theme! And you will ace the applique!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Love how it looks already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very Cool. I agree with staying away from kid's current taste, but sports team? Unlikely to change. I mean unless he is 5 and determines his favourite team according to his favourite colour. If he is 10, you better beleive he will be a fan of that team for the rest of his life. Backing fabric, maybe? Or if you want to play it safe and his current favourite team is one of the canadian teams, you would probably be able to find a novelty fabric that has all 7 canadian NHL teams on it. Can't wait to see that one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking good! I'm loving all the fabrics you been using for this!
    Any ideas on how you're going to quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's looking great. I love the multiple fabrics for the lines -- gives great depth. Good call on staying away from the colours of his favourite sports team -- my kids switch allegiances regularly too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's very interesting to read about your progress. Like the grey idea.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html