Wednesday, October 29, 2014

WIP Wednesday - More hexies and a heck of a lot of quliting!

Wednesday's rolled around again and my major WIP, Double Trouble, is well... still a work in progress. To distract myself from the discomfort, I've been sewing a fair bit. Isn't it amazing what some quilt therapy can achieve?

This past week-end saw me heading off to the October Sew In for MMQG. I've given up on taking my machine... though MANY of my guildmates offered to carry it to and from the car for me. Such nice ladies! I took advantage of the comfy couch and spent the afternoon handstitching the binding on Honey. Just a sneaky peeky for you today... finish post coming soon!
Our little (but growing!) guild has been asked to participate in a zipper pouch swap with the Victoria Modern Quilt Guild. I couldn't pass it up... I do love a swap! But I figured I'd better get moving and make something before DT makes their appearance! Of course, I decided to do something simple...
Yeah, right. Apparently all the work I've been doing on Honey has turquoise-y hexies stuck in my brain. And I couldn't make large hexies. Where would the fun be in that? These are ¾ inch.
Honestly, the biggest problem with hexies is knowing when to stop. I'm done now. Honest. I just need to quilt this critter and turn it into a zipper pouch!
I finally decided how I wanted to quilt my Global Scrap Bee quilt - which apparently I haven't blogged about since August when the blocks were just starting to roll in! I've been working on emphasizing negative space lately, so I quilted only the white sections. The blocks are so linear - I wanted the FMQ to work with that feeling instead of against it. That goodness for my Pile O Fabric Skill Builder blocks... I used this pattern on the Library Shelf block and it just seems to fit the Converging Corners block.
Sometimes I get into a project and realize that it would have been better to work on the dining room table. This quilt didn't seem so big until I sat down at my studio desk and got to it! A few needles were broken before I realized that the weight of the quilt was really pulling on my machine!
And then... thread-tastrophy! With only this small (one block, really) section left, I completely and utterly ran out of white thread. Progress stalled... oh well, it's not like there's a world wide white thread shortage or something.
An emergency trip to the LQS yesterday (and comments of "You're still sewing?" from the ever helpful staff) saw me finishing all that lovely FMQ today. Now I'm off to handstitch the binding... if the weather holds, I might even cram in a quilty photo shoot one day this week! There's a great location I've been eyeing up for a couple weeks!
Hope you found some time to sew this week - whether you needed it as quilt therapy or not! ☺

J

I'm linking up today with WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced and Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts. Gotta love a link up to get me motivated to post!


23 comments:

  1. Wow, you are staying so busy. The hexies are such lovely shades of turquoise - yum. And your quilting progress is awesome. Glad you were able to get thread to finish up quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this quilt and loving your negative space quilting! Yay! Major bummer on the thread, but what quilter doesn't like going BACK to the LQS just to buy what we need and DON'T need... haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same thing happened to me Saturday...ran out of the thread on the last side of a binding and had to go to buy more thread. Can't wait to see how those hexies turn into a zippered pouch. And when have you done anything simple????????????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pssst, I think you're swapping with us, not Vancouver! Looking forward to seeing all your pouches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the quilting on your Bee Quilt. looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that quilt! And the quilting on it looks super. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your converging corners. It's on my "to do". I have your same Pfaff, but it looks like you are using a machine with a bigger throat for the quilting. What is it? Oh, and great fmqing by the way! Really enhances the quilt design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're lucky have such a fun hobby while you are waiting your bundles of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quilting on your bee quilt, it looks fantastic! Congrats on all your sewing therapy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You are quite the busy quilting bee :) Love the hexies! And the FMQ on your Global Scrap Bee quilt is beautiful. Can't wait to see more pictures! Hopefully I'll make it to Sew In next month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt is beautiful! Makes me so happy to see an "almost" finished product from our bee. I've got to get working on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe you quilted that big quilt! Your back must be ready to give out. Looks great though-but I'm mainly excited about your DT announcement in the near future....

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilting on that Global Scrap Bee quilt is amazing, Jennifer! Your binding choice is perfect! Those cute hexies are sure to make a really sweet pouch, too. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is looking fantastic - love the binding fabric you've chosen for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your red and aqua quilt, the quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was thinking of doing a patchwork bag in very similar colors. I think you were reading my mind! (no hexies though). What size did you decide on?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely colors on your converging corners. I need to do a red and teal quilt someday for sure! Good luck with "Double Trouble", I hope they're not as much trouble as all that when they arrive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great quilting choice on the converging corners Jenn. I need to try this one

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your color combo,and the quilting is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love seeing the projects you're working on. Each and every of them looks so well composed and thoughtfully made. And wow, that honey quilt, I can not wait to see the full reveal!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh what a pretty projects! Love your hexies especially.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 'You're still sewing?' They asked that? Goodness! You must really be looking like an expectant mum! At least those lovely, tiny hexies will never be too heavy to lift.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html