Friday, May 29, 2015

I ♥ Doubles - Friday Finish & ALYOF May Finish!

Friday and a Finish! I was easy on myself for this month's edition of ALYOF... you can read all about my slackitude in this post (#93 in the Goal Setting Party).

All that self deprecating talk aside, I did achieve my goal for this month - to bind a Kona strip baby quilt that's been hanging out in the studio for some time. I made this quilt to figure out how long it takes me to make one of my Kona strip baby quilts. I've been having some thoughts about selling my wares. I'll be sharing the break down in a future post... when I've had time to run it through the Sparkle-ator. And recover from the results!
This quilt features quite a list of Konas! The greys are Silver and Steel. The teals are (in alphabetical order of course!) Aqua, Azure, Bahama Blue, Breakers, Capri, Caribbean, Pool, Robin Egg, Teal Blue, and Ultramarine. This was a stash raider... mostly scraps and a few large cuts from the Kona Hoarde.
The quilting is a wide, wavy, wiggly organic line motif done in teal. How's that for quilting buzzwords? My goal here was to make the quilting interesting without investing a lot of time.
The backing is an oh so nicely priced find from the flat fold section at my LQS. 5.99$/m for a backing fabric? Yes, please!
  Gratutitous tulip pic!
The binding is Kona Ultramarine. I machine stitched it, also in a bid to save time. I'm not in love with the results... I likely need more practice!
My quilty and Girl Guide-y pal Anja (of Anja Quilts) is hosting TGIFF today, so there's no way I wouldn't be linking up over there. And because I'm apparently addicted to link-ups, I'll be popping over to Finish Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts AND ALYOF Finish Party for May! Wheeee!!!!

Happy Week-end!

J

17 comments:

  1. I love the quilting you chose. It adds a lot more interest than something like a stipple would. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors in this quilt are so calming and great together. When I put on binding with my machine, I sew down to the back first and that way the extra "line" from sewing down along the front is on the back which bothers me much less. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the quilting! Coupled with the different blues, it reminds me of the ocean. :) I like the idea of an all solids quilt like this, it's interesting, but not overwhelming. Lovely finish (and lovely Konas, but that's a given, right? Lol) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those those beachy blues. I covet your Kona hoard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Henceforth let it be known that the word of the day is "slackitude".

    Great word. Great finish. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Henceforth let it be known that the word of the day is "slackitude".

    Great word. Great finish. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Henceforth let it be known that the word of the day is "slackitude".

    Great word. Great finish. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your baby quilt. It reminds me of the ocean too :) When I machine sew binding I use a zig zag stitch a la the Stitched in Color tutorial. I love how secure it is for something like a baby quilt that will get washed A LOT and it is much more forgiving when it comes to lining things up. If I am going to use a straight line (usually for bags), I also stitch to the back first so any imperfections in the extra line are on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely finish and the blue are perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet finish! I will be interested to read what you decide about selling.
    I have been experimenting with machine binding lately too. Personal preference, but I really like binding that is first attached to the front. Threads can be used to blend the line of stitching left on the front, the back looks neat, and it looks most like hand-stitched binding to me, which I still prefer but rarely do anymore. Haven't tried glue or ironing for binding - like you I am looking to cut time/expense - and we are not talking about a show quilt here - I like to crease and wrap as I go, and I have gotten better at attaching it to the back by using a stiletto, running it in front of the needle, so the needle just runs right in the ditch. A tightly wrapped binding works best for me, so I use a narrow strip, 2 or 2 1/4". It seems there are so many ways to do things, hope you don't mind my going on about my way - hah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilting and thread colour are perfect for this baby blues quilt, Jenn. Reminds me of gently lapping waves. I just started using that method for binding myself and have for the last three finishes. Each one gets a little better. And those flowers are a lovely site. My tulips are just now done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilting - the movement of the lines plus the oh-so-pretty Kona assortment you've used gives this a very watery effect that's so calming! I can't wait to see the results of your number crunching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful colors! And congrats on the finish! Another w.i.p. stitched up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see the results of your time and cost calculations. I love the wiggly/organic quilting. I think you did well for first time machine binding, but you need to sew to the back first, and then pull to the front. You'll get better results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! Sew it to the front, wrap to the back then stitch in the ditch on the front. 😁

      Delete
  15. I can imagine that even a simple quilt like this takes time and adds up if the real costs are taken into account. The Sparkle-ator is a handy gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the colors in this one Jenn!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html