Wednesday, May 20, 2015

WIP Wednesday - In a Technicolor Galaxy far, far away...

Actual quilting happened this week! It`s been a while, but after only minimal cursing and ripping out of stitching, I was back in the FMQ groove.
In the interest of saving time and sanity, I'm going to mark all the spools of thread I use for this quilt with a little piece of Washi tape. That way, when I go to quilt the next layer outward, I won't have to rack my brain trying to remember what I've used already!
I only stopped working on the Color Wheel because I ran out of white thread. Curses!

I also finished piecing the last of the Star Points! Yay, me!
Then it was on to choosing the Konas for the backing of each star point (they're QAYG so I get to choose backing over and over again!). Twelve Konas were provided in the kit, but since I did a little playing around with the colour distribution in the star points... they didn't all seem to work so well in my version.
 
Which just gave me an excuse to dive into the Kona piles. Can't you just see me frolicking around like Scrooge McDuck in his piles of gold coins? Or maybe Kona Badasses don't frolic. Oh well.
Curry, Ice Frappe, and Candy Blue got nixed. I actually ended up taking out the piece of Lilac that's shown in the pic above. It was just too... Lilac.

Star points are layered, stacked and ready to be packed for our MMQG Sew In this coming Saturday. Yay! An entire day of sewing! I might not want to come home.
I'm linking up today with WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced as well as Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts. Today, you get a little glimpse into her stash. All I can say is... oh my!!!

J

P.S. If you're a new quilt blogger, you should definitely pop over to Quilting JetGirl and check out the 2015 New Quilt Blogger Blog Hop. If you've been blogging for less than 2 years about mainly modern quilting and post somewhere around 4 posts a month, this might be right up your alley. I participated last year and found it helpful. I wish I could do it again this year, since they'll be using FaceBook as a communication platform. So much easier that Google groups... at least for me!

27 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing those star points. They were intimidating, but once you get started, the momentum builds and you're done before you know it! Still have to quilt mine too. Now just month 3 and 4 to do before 5 comes out - yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea about marking your thread with Washi tape so you know just which spools to pull out for next time! And thanks for spreading the word about this year's blog hop; we already have 29 people signed up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awesome! You are making great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those star points are stunning!

    Visiting from Let's Bee Social. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, ya! Your progress on this is simply amazing! Figures you had a large enough selection of thread to choose the right colour for each section of the centre medallion... But ran out of white. Looking fabulous!!! Frolic away. Who's going to stop ya?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is looking awesome. You frolic all you like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why yes, I can see you frolicking around in your Konas like Scrooge McDuck in his pile of coins! Hee hee hee - you are too funny Jenn! This is turning out incredibly fabulous! You must get excited every time you look at this quilt in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frolic away! This is absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stalled due to white thread ~I've been there recently. It was rather shocking to discover I was out of WHITE thread. This is looking fabulous! I can't even imagine how long this BOM would take, but I've loved seeing everyone's that pops up (and consider - very briefly ;-) attempting my own)
    Happy sewing ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors on both of these projects! You are brave with all those curves. Stunning and totally worth it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so great! I haven't even started my Technicolor Galaxy yet because other projects keep taking priority -- woe is me. Your choice of Konas looks perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every time I see this, it just looks better and better! I love that you are swapping out colors to make it your own. Can't wait to see how the quilting looks on the color wheel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!! That's all, just WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this project! It's such fun to look at. And yes, we do frolic, dive in to fabric piles, dream about our stashes, protect our stashes as though they were children... well, you get the picture. It's totally normal, right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rainbows make me happy~thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A Badass wouldn't frolic.... but a Kona Nerd, yup, sure would!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a feast for the eyes! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't think of a more fun way to pass the time in a stash, frolicking in the Kona!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilts look great! Love those bright Kona.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! It is looking great! I love your reference of Scrooge McDuck :) I do get excited when I'm digging through my stash :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The bold colors for your quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Smiling so much at the scrooge mcduck mental image :-) It all looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Scrooge McDuck!! LOL I can totally picture that! Frolick, oh kona-lover, frolick!! :) Your progress is fabulous. I love this pattern SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the Star Points! I hope the sew-in went well today. I always do more chatting than stitching at mine!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This really does look like fun, especially the Scrooge McDuck frolicking.

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh, sooo lovely - everything. Can't wait to see the next steps :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html