Wednesday, October 14, 2015

WIP Wednesday - Dog Gone Cutting!

After finally choosing fabrics for my contribution to the Dog Gone Cute Blog Hop, I had some marathon cutting and organizing sessions. These blocks have a LOT of pieces - 30+ in each block. And since I opted for the small pup blocks, some of them are TINY. Like one inch cut tiny.
Sew Fresh Quilts
With this many pieces, I check off each from the cutting guide as I go and then label with fancy shmancy masking tape. I find it saves me time in the long run... especially if I have to walk away from cutting or piecing (which happens fairly regularly!)
I've been using these small ziploc bags from the dollar store to organize the bits in QPP Project #1. They're really handy for keeping small pieces organized. Again, fancy shmancy masking tape to number them.
After quite a bit of piecing (and hopping up and down to the ironing board!), Pup #8 was the first to be finished! The patch around her eye is a little wonky, but I think it gives her character!
 And soon after that, she had a brother!
Even the crappy lighting of this pic (winter is coming here in Nova Scotia) can't take away from the sheer cuteness of these pups. I am not a dog person at all, but these critters are very highly on the squeak scale!
Today I'm off to my LQS to pick up some more Cotton & Steel Sprinkle to do the sashing and borders. Fingers crossed that they're not sold out! If you haven't been checking out the blogs on the Dog Gone Cute blog hop, you really should. There's a lot of puppy cuteness out there... and a few giveaways to boot!

And I'm linking up today with Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts as well as WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced.

J

14 comments:

  1. Awwww! What adorableness! Love your fabric choices, Jenn. Those are some perky C&S pups! Hope your LQS is not sold out of sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuteness!! Good to know about the small pieces, I will pick a bigger version when I get around to doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were soooo many pieces, weren't there, but so worth it! Those are cute, cute pups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cuteness overload! Love your fabric choices too! I kind of think the wonky eye guy is full of spunk! Really cute Jenn! Love your organizing system. Perfect when you have a billion pieces to contend with! What size are the small blocks?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are looking great, Jenn! I hope you can find the C+S you want today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work on your dogs.The markings on the blue fabric give a nice pattern to those pups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does look like a lot of work but your finished blocks are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! Good idea with the bags and labeling. I never thought of it that that kind of organization would be helpful when doing the whole quilt at once. Makes a lot of sense!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can take the teacher out of the classroom... Love your organization skills, Jenn. Oh, and those puppoes are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so friggin cute! why have I not made dogs yet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your fabric choices. I look forward to seeing the whole finished quilt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a dog person? You haven't met my dog. I used to be a cat person, but our cat is a grumpy pants (we love him anyway). The dog, which my husband begged me for, has me wrapped around her little paws. She is about as cute as these blocks.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html