Thursday, March 17, 2016

TGIFF/Friday Finish - The Unmasking of Quilt Protection Program Project #1

Welcome to TGIFF @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge! If you're new here, I hope you'll take a few minutes to have a look around and perhaps leave me a comment or two. For regular readers, you've suffered through the vague references to QPP Project #1 for a long time now.... 
Today is the day. I unveil to you Daylily Daze! A gift for my parents, avid readers of this very blog.
It's 30 unique sixteen patch blocks - each one inspired by a daylily. What's a daylily, you say? It's a flowering perennial plant and my parents love them! You can pop on over to the American Hemerocallis Society and learn more if you'd like.
Each sixteen patch block has an eight Kona colour palette inspired by a particular daylily. The colours are randomly placed. The patches are 2 inch finished.
On a dull (almost) spring day in Nova Scotia, the only green to be had at the park was this quilt. ☺
It's bound in Kona Peridot. I considered a scrappy binding, but decided there was lots and lots going on already!
The back features an oversized version of the Zissertwin block. It's a unique daylily hybridized by my parents' friends and named for DT.  The rest is improv pieced Kona greens used also used for the sashing.
Who doesn't love some wavy organic quilting? I think its becoming the default quilting style of my lovely little guild. I went a little wild and used variegated thread. I know. Wild.
Since this quilt was a long standing item in the Quilting Protection Program, I didn't do much in the way of WIP posts. I hope you'll come back next Wednesday when I blog a little about the process I used to create this quilt.
My Mom (and Dad too) loved it so much that they took it to New Hampshire's quilting Mecca, Keepsake Quilting!
The Deets  
Title: Daylily Daze (A JMTZ original!)
Size: 55 by 64 inches
Fabrics Used: Konas and only Konas.
Konas Used: 103 different Konas went into this quilt. Refer to Kona Love for more information
Quilting: Organic wavy lines in variegated green (Gutterman)
Binding: Kona Peridot, hand stitched with Gutterman
Backing: Pieced from Kona greens used for sashing
Favourite Part(s): Creating a one of a kind quilt for my parents to thank them for 40 years of love and support and capturing in some small part their love of daylilies

Now it's your turn, link up those fabulous finishes here and don't forget to tour the other finishes and spread the comment love! Please include a link and/or button for TGIFF! so your visitors know all about TGIFF!



J

P.S. This quilt would not have been possible without the amazing (and free) on-line tool that is Palette Builder 2.1 @ Play Crafts. Many thanks to Anne for her genius in creating this and for her generosity in sharing it! 

37 comments:

  1. It is absolutely beautiful! What an amazing gift. Thank you so much for hosting TGIFF this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh it turned out SO WELL!! This is absolutely beautiful! :D :D :D I can't wait to see the making of post. Will you be sharing photos of the daylilies as well? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! This is my first time here, and I just have to say wow!! Day lillies are my favourite flower, and your quilt is just amazing. A lovely and thoughtful gift as well Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. My. Goodness. That is a stunning quilt! I love everything about it! The colors, the quilting, the backing. Day Lilies are my favorite flower, and especially because there are so many beautiful varieties. No wonder why I adore your quilt! What a spectacular gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous quilt you must be very proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great gift to your parents this gorgeous quilt.I love all the colors and the design proces. All the greens on the beack .. It is perfect. Compliments from Amsterdam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great gift for your parents. The Palette Builder is such a wonderful tool for choosing fabrics. I really need to make more use of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful quilt! I love your inspiration idea with the flowers. all the colours are so delicous and I like the lot of green - not so usual in quilts. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Jenn! This is gorgeous! I love that each block colour scheme is based on a particular daylily, and the green sashing just pulls it all together perfectly :) Thanks for hosting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A real stunner, Jenn! I am not only impressed by yout genius, but very inspired! XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dazed by your Daylily. Very impressive.
    Preeti.
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! A beauty indeed just like daylilies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely bright and happy looking quilt, the kind that makes me smile.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful quilt! I love that you used different day lilies for inspiration. My mother also loves them and has them in her flower garden. Quilting Protection Program...I love that phrase. Some projects you just have to keep hidden and protect till the right moment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun - and it is so beautiful - we have snow coming down now , so your quilt is like the spring coming !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, congratulations on such a beautiful finish and successful QPP project! My mother loves daylillies as well, and I could see the flowers as soon as you mentioned the connection. I love both sides of the quilt, and how awesome that DT have a flower named after them! <3 I am very excited to learn more about the quilt next week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did it! I was just thinking about this quilt the other day! I know you are happy to have it finish and gifted to your proud and thrilled parents. I'm not real familiar with daylillies, but the fact that you took inspiration from them and hand picked the perfect colors is amazing. And that is so cool that the twins have one named after them! Zissertwins! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love that Palette Builder too!! This is beautiful Jenn! Going to send my mum the link as she would be so impressed with what you did, with the daylily matching colours. She's an avid gardener. Flowers not veggies, ha. Great to get a photo at Keepsake Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! I like learning the story behind quilts, it's nice when they mean something. I really like the wavy line quilting. I just did a couple baby quilts with wavy lines, but I didn't think to cross them over like you did. I'm going to have to try that next, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did a perfect job capturing the beautiful colors of daylillies. Your quilt is lovely. You have me yearning to see my own garden of daylillies. But they are just barely out of the soul! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This quilt is so amazing. I'm in awe. What a brilliant concept, a great use of Kona and a spectacular, beautiful result! Your parents are lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great quilt. I love day lilies also.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love daylilies, what a great representation. Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your quilt is beautiful Jenn. you made the right choice with the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that it made an appearance at Keepsake Quilting. It's a great finish! I can't wait to get my hands on some Zissertwins.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's wonderful! I love how each block is inspired by a different lily! And I find it especially awesome that DT has a type of daylily named after them! Kudos to you for keeping this one in QPP successfully! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now that is a dazzling quilt! So full of the luscious greens to support all those lilies!!! How wonderful! It really is quite like looking at a bed of beautiful blooms and their greens :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous! Incredible gift for them! And love the Zissertwin block on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think this quilt and the concept is genius! I am sure your parents were thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your quilt is so pretty and springy! I can see why they love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Let me add my kudos: the quilt is stunning. Several friends are members of the local daylily group, which is pretty active here in central Louisiana. The are beautiful in late spring. Your quilt really does them justice. So did you somehow write the names of daylilies on the quilt or do your parents know them?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks great - love the improv pieced back and yes it looks very spring and summery all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Glad this quilt could finally see the light of the day. What a great story behind it, and to me, it's the first sign of spring. great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  34. No wonder your parents love Daylily days Jenn! You perfectly captured the feel of a whole bed of them! (We have whole beds of them. so I know of what I speak!) It's so cool that they took it to Keepsake Quilting!
    You made me crack up with your reference to the Quilting Protection Program.

    ReplyDelete
  35. DT have their own flower? How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html