Thursday, July 21, 2016

TGIFF - Finding Dory

Welcome to TGIFF @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge! If you're new to my blog, I hope you'll take a little time to explore. Check out my past projects on the tabs or read a little about my  love of obsession with Kona under the Kona Love tab!
This week's project sprang from last week's trip to the South Shore of Nova Scotia. While wandering in lovely Lunenburg, I popped into The Lunenburg Makery and picked up a kit for their row of the Row by Row Experience. One of my MMQG pals was working on it at our last Sew In and I fell in love! And buying the kit was the only way to get the wee Dory Shop sign. I was hooked!

Here's my wee finish - just  13 by 9 inches! 
I opted not to do the entire row this time (or to use my treasured Dory Shop sign). I liked the idea of one happy boat next to what I think of as a fishing stage. You can read a little more about the making of of this mini quilt on this Wednesday's WIP post or on my Instagram feed (@quarter_iInch_from_the_edge).
Taking the paper off is so much easier when you actually remember to shorten your stitch length! I highly recommend it!

 I had such fun quilting the different textures. Here's my start on the woodgrain for the dock.
And the water was pretty fun too! In case you were wondering, that's a traditional Nova Scotian dory. Not just a Disney character, they were used for fishing. When I was a kiddo, my grandfather had a big one he used to row on the lake, often with a gaggle of grandkiddies on board! I might just have to make another in barn red as a reminder of that fine craft!
Now that I've done a few matched bindings, I don't know what I ever worried about. They're nowhere near perfect, but they achieve the seamless visual I'm going for!

I intended to give this mini away, but the more I look at it, the more I want to keep it. One just never knows!
Now it's your turn! Link up your finished projects and spread the TGIFF love by including a button or hyperlink in your post. You can get blog buttons here. Don't forget to pop over to some of the other great finishes this week!

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you'll come back on Thursday, August 4th for the one year anniversary of Throwback Thursday, my monthly link-up to showcase projects from our dark quilty pasts!

J

16 comments:

  1. The quilting really suits the quilt, well done and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it Jenn - particularly the unquilted section of the sky, this really increases the mood of the piece :D itsakeeper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it is so lovely, very cute. I like how you did the binding too, it must have been very fiddly but iy really sets it off well.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very cute little quilt Jenn :)...thanks for hosting today...not sure why the linkup is not showing on your blog page?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute little finish! I love all the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the mini Jenn. I would keep it too. The parts of the row you used have a really nice symmetry to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, Jenn and the amount of small details you put into the quilting is very cool. Love the water ripples and wood grain. I always try to remember to set my stitch length to a shorter one. It makes things so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did such a great job Jenn! I love the quilting! It flows so well and really makes this piece come alive! I really hate when I forget to shorten my stitch length...not a pretty sight tearing papers like that. You also nailed the binding! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how the door of the building matches the dory; it's a lovely pop. And matched binding can be such a great design feature! Congratulations on the finish and I'll be curious if you give this away / need to make another for yourself soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quilting on this, you did awesome! The woodgrain is spot on! The little dory is cute as a button too. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many great details in this mini, I love the woodgrain in the deck, the quilting is super!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! Great job. I haven't even starting thinking about my Row by Row patterns. Guess I better get moving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's adorable. I am very impressed with your matched binding! I've never done that before! Oh, boy! Something new to try! Have a nice weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! I grew up in a fishing village. I may have to see about getting a dory sign. Our dory was light gray :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html