Friday, January 20, 2017

Friday Finish - It's beginning to look a lot like...

Christmas! I know, I know. Christmas is long over.
With all the holiday shenanigans, I didn't get a chance to share this one with you. I ordered the awesome Naughty & Nice fat quarter bundle from Pile O' Fabric way back in August of 2015 and just knew I couldn't let it gather dust in my stash. So I got to working on a Christmas quilt in December 2015, knowing there wasn't much chance I'd get it done for the upcoming holidays. But I did get it done just in time for Christmas 2016!
The pattern is Cluck Cluck Sew's Squares and Strips Bed Quilt. It's a free tutorial and I give it a full and unreserved thumbs up! I'm working on some similar blocks with my hoarde of low volume squares.
 
Those are honest to goodness Canadian snowflakes blurring up these pics. We had no snow over the holidays and this quilt absolutely REQUIRED snow for its photoshoot. Demanding, huh?
I toyed with the idea of an all over free motion pattern with a Christmas motif. In the end, I decided that straight line quilting would let those lovely prints have the attention they deserved. I used a cheerful kelly green... a departure from my usual white or grey!
The Kona Nautical binding (with the wee-est pop of Kona Cardinal on one edge) makes me very happy!
I'm darned pleased with myself over this back. I matched the prints pretty much perfectly. It takes a whole lot of looking to see the seam!
The Deets  
Title: C+S Christmas Squares & Strips
Size: 64 by 88 inches
Fabric Used: Naughty & Nice FQ Bundle
Konas Used: Candy Green, Cardinal, Grasshopper, Ice Frappe, Nautical 
Quilting: Straight line quilting in kelly green
Binding: Kona Nautical
Backing: Cotton + Steel Notes to Santa in Multi
Favourite Part(s): Snuggling under this quilt during the Christmas season and knowing that it will be part of our Christmases for many years to come
 
I'm linking up today (for the first time in a long, long while) with TGIFF @ Busy Hands Quilts, as well as with Finish Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts. I can't call this my first finish of 2017, but I'm hoping it won't be too long until I have that to share!

J

P.S. Many thanks as always to my quilt holder, Ms. K.V. She never seems to mind my quilty foolishness, even if it means climbing up on stone walls in snow storms!

18 comments:

  1. It's a beauty! You did a fantastic job on this one and the photo shoot is amazing. You are lucky to have such a great helper. And that backing...love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing location for the photo shoot. Is it your local church?
    I will try to remember this pattern, since making a Christmas quilt is on my list for the year. It's simple, yet very effective. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! You did an amazing job with piecing the back. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I love Christmas and Cotton + Steel, so this is a win win win! And I agree, this quilt needed some snow for photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is beautiful! I wish I could take photos outside right now. But it's been raining so much, there's mud and puddles everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt! Love, love that fabric! Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt. The photos with the snow flakes are great. The back is beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this! It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waiting for snow was really worth it; the photographs of the quilt are perfection and your quilt holder is a professional! I love it when a backing can be pieced and it takes real effort to find the seam; well done! How awesome to have the quilt done in time for Christmas, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finish! Did you find any issues with how precise the tutorial is in terms of the size of your fat quarters? I found some of my fat quarters were 1/2" too short!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marvelous finish! Spectacular photo shoot! Where was this? Xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a bright and cheery holiday quilt! So great that you got it finished in time last year, and can pull it our for years to come and enjoy it. It will become a holiday tradition at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jealous of the photoshoot with snow. The quilt is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great finish, I love the pink and aqua along with the red and greens. It's so nice to have your own Christmas quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute Cute! I love that you called it "cheeky" green! What is the building in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful quilt! I will have to look up that pattern.
    And your winter photoshoot is gorgeous, as well!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html