I really like the way Dominique over at The Running Thimble broke her resolutions into categories. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I'm copying her here and doing the same! First up...
- No new magazines or books - After making this resolution in January 2011, I haven't bought a quilting magazine in two years and dramatically cut down the acquisitions for my quilting library. I didn't add any books to the shelf that I hadn't already had out from the public library for a test drive. Gifts (or books purchased with gift cards!) are permitted :)
- Purge the magazine shelf - Last year, I started going through my magazines and only keeping the ones that had multiple projects I have made/will make. For solo projects, I'll scan the required pages and send the magazine on to a new home (Look out, Bee mates!)
- Make at least one of the gorgeous Amy Butler patterns I have in my stash
Though I admire the thriftiness and general good sense of those fine quilters participating in a Fabric Fast à la Fabriholics Anonymous, I'm not jumping on this one. I like buying fabric. I love going to my stash and having just what I'm looking for for a project. When I mentioned the mere idea of a Fabric Fast, Himself asked "Why on earth would you do that? Fabric makes you happy!" Such a sensible man. I may even order some more fabric today before the sales end!
That said, I will commit to:
- De-stashing some fabrics that I just don't think I will ever use and sending them on to loving homes
- Making at least two large quilts to give away - using scraps and fabric only from the stash
Last year at this time, I updated my UFO list. I figure I'll do the same this year. I post it at my quilting desk and cross things off as I go. At a couple points this year, everything was crossed off! Another resolution to continue. Here are the items on the WiP list at the moment.
- Warm/Cool HST - continue making blocks
- Kona Table Runner - layer, quilt, & bind
- Toes in the Sand - Finish last four sets of blocks, piece top, etc.
- Improv Herringbone (ModQImprov Canada) - complete top once the last 3 blocks arrive
- Starburst QAL - layer, quilt, & bind
Last year, I donated a set of placemats and a baby quilt to a fundraiser for Ovarian Cancer Canada and made a couple trips to the IWK. This year, I commit to:
- Donating more quilts to IWK Choices and the Layette Program
- Encouraging other quilters to purge their UFOs or quilt closets to support these programs
So far, it seems like I'm just keepin' on keepin' on. But new things?
I'm joining Adrienne's Library Project. How can you not when you think "duh, why didn't I think of that?" I'm taking a hard look at that shelf above my quilting desk. Stayed tuned for the first Link up for more details on this challenge.
P.S. It's fine to resolve to just have fun with fabric! If it's not fun, what's the point? ☺