Friday, February 21, 2014

The Library Project - Month of the Dark Lord Edition

It's hard to believe it's been a month since the first TLP link-up! I've been making lots of progress on the first of my selections - Quilt in the Headlights from Boo Davis' Dare to be Square. I've blogged about it here and here. It's all layered and ready to go, but I'm a little stumped... how to quilt it?Option #1 - Free motion quilt the background to make the deer pop (I worry about the durability of FMQ)
Option #2 - Straight line quilting on the diagonal as shown in the book (I love diagonal quilting!)
Thoughts, dear reader?
 
And as if the quilting conundrum wasn't enough, I had a hell of a time moving on to my next selection. This happens to me with "special" fabrics or projects. I get all hung up on my choice because I know it's going to be something I'll want to keep and treasure. When it's a quick quilt from my stash or a present for someone else, the decisions seem to come much more easily. And I don't think I can justify a fourth couch quilt in the TV room! 

The three books from which I need to make a choice have been living on my coffee table throughout the Olympics... which means I've been looking at them a lot! More later on those EPP Sochi Diamonds that photobombed this shot!
So I shuffled them. Literally, closed my eyes and shuffled them with the idea in mind that whichever book came up on top would provide my next project! And the winner is...
One would think I was trying to wear this book out with the number of times I've flipped its pages! But I've finally settled on a decision. It's...
Ladders!  All the quilts in this book are designed by different modern quilters and this one's an Elizabeth Hartman special. I am so drawn to her work - as evidenced by the fact that one of my other TLP books is Modern Patchwork! Compared to other quilts in this book, Ladders might not be too tough to expand to a larger size along the way.
While I'm tempted by the earth tones in the original quilt (the living room might need a quilt one day..), I'm leaning toward Kona blues with the ladders themselves in Kona white. Blue and white are just so crisp... makes me think of fresh snow and blue bird skies.
And I might have a few blues in my Kona stash already!

As I'm sure you've guessed, I'm linking up with Adrienne over at Chezzetcook Modern Quilts for this month's check in! If you're not already on the Library Project bandwagon, it's not too late. I heard a rumour there will be prizes! ☺

Hope you're making progress on your projects! Can't wait to read all about it!

J

14 comments:

  1. I like your color idea for the Ladder quilt, but I'm very biased toward cool tones over earth tones ; ) The deer came out wonderful! I'm sure whatever you choose for the quilting design will look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm partial to a good old-fashioned diagonal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The deer is so cool! I think you'll need to quilt it in a way that is more comfortable for you. If you have reservations about the FMQ, you might not be happy with the end result. And those blues are so appealing after this long snowy winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the deer and would go with emphasising. Great choice for your next project. Ladders looks great and I think I might have to buy that book too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what you settle on for quilting your deer. I find it difficult to make a decision and most times when I decide, soon as I get it under the needle I end up doing something else...go figure! Your Ladder project looks like such fun. Love the blues you have picked. Can't tell...what is that darkest dark colour? Is that what you will be using for the strips on the edge of the block?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say diagonal quilting on the deer and I friggin love those blues! Ladders is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made the "it's a wiener!" Quilt from the Boo Davis book; I did diagonal quilting and it looks great on her pixel-y designs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made the "it's a wiener!" Quilt from the Boo Davis book; I did diagonal quilting and it looks great on her pixel-y designs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your deer, and I am sure my hubby would love one too, lol You next choice looks great, can't wait to see how it turns out

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go with your gut about the quilting! Anything you do will look great, but if you go with your gut, YOU will be happy. :) Love your Kona blues.
    Carole, from Fresh off the Frame

    ReplyDelete
  11. Either quilting option will be wonderful. If it were my quilt I'd lean slightly towards option one just to make that deer pop.

    I love your colour choices for the ladders quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea of diagonals on the deer too, but what ever you choose it's still going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much Benn ,I can't wait to play with it. 'tjwbew@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Dear quilt is incredible. I'd be really afraid to quilt it... it already looks perfect but of course you have to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html