Friday, January 01, 2016

The Year of The Stash - The Manifesto

You know that moment when you try to jam yourself into a too small pair of jeans for the 32nd time and decide that enough is enough? Something must be done. Well, that's where I am with my stash. It's out of control. Something must be done.

But we've all said that! So this time, I'm coming at it from a different angle. The Year of The Stash isn't about depriving yourself of the joy of fabric. It's about rediscovering the joy that you already have!
As I take on the challenge of raising two small humans in a home that seemed just the right size for two adults and all their crap, embracing minimalism and enjoying what one already has is becoming more and more important. Why not apply that to one's stash?

But I'm a rule gal. I like boxes that can be ticked. Systems to be followed. Behold The Manifesto.

Article 1 - Organization & Editing
I will take out each colour stack in my stash and rotate the fabrics regularly to expose fabrics I have forgotten are there. I will remove any fabric that is no longer to my taste. I will purge my scrap bins.

Article 2 - Birthday Bonus Club
Before buying any fabric to fulfill BBC Birthday Queen requests, I will go to my stash. I will buy only the yardage required to fulfill requests.

Article 3 - New Projects
Before beginning any new projects, I will look to the stash for inspiration. I will savour using fabrics I have collected over years and not reserve fabrics as "too special to use."

Article 4 - Adding to the Stash
Fabric may be purchased to complete a project, as can batting and thread. Fabric can also be purchased while visiting a quilt shop more than 2 hours from my home. Recreational fabric shopping will be avoided. I will continue to my subscription to Candy Coated Collection. When the limited edition Kona Color of the Year is available, I will be getting me some Highlight. When I slip up (it's going to happen ☺), I will enjoy my new fabric, without reservation.

Article 5 - Celebrating
I will keep a running count of completed projects that are stash based. I will encourage others to do the same. I will run a semi-regular link-up to celebrate my own achievements and those of others.

Phew. I think that about sums it up. It's all there in black and white - with as much positive language as I can muster! Are you feeling this? Well, get writing. Time to draft your own manifesto and link it up! If you need some more direction, pop over to How to Write a Stash Manifesto in Five Easy Steps. Whether it's January 1st or May 23rd, it's just fine. We're not making resolutions here. We're finding joy... it's an all year round quest!



J

24 comments:

  1. I'm on board with you. Without any formal declaration, that is pretty much what I was doing last year (feels funny to write "last year" when it was less than 24 hours ago!) so it should be easy for me. I'll add a few words about working on UFOs or restocking the fabric being held out for said UFOs. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the flexibility of this. Instead of banning yourself from new fabric, you're regulating your purchases to fabric with a purpose. This seems much more doable than a cold turkey new fabric ban.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the permission you give yourself to enjoy new fabric without shame. I think the hardest part of a Stash year (for me) would be quilt backings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as using fabrics from the stash that are "too special" -- I finally realized they would be "in a better place" -- A QUILT!!!! Use them up. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great plan. I know what you mean. I inherited my mother's stash and it took me three years to go through most of it - I still even have some pieces almost five years after I lost her. But I will use it - it's just waiting for the right project, I believe. I especially like your idea of not reserving anything as "too special." I have kind of a bad habit of that. Just use it, man. That's what it's for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good plan but then any step forward is good. I am all about simplifying and using stuff. I think my word for the year is gonna be KISS! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the 2-hours-from-home rule. My holiday brain works differently from my at home shopping brain. However, as I have no more travels planned for a while, I have sealed my pocket money card in an envelope now and will not open it until Easter. I have plenty of sewing to keep me busy, and it will encourage me to save for something special.
    I am sewing up a bundle that had been set aside as 'special', so I am on top of number 3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words to live by! I need to tame that stash too. This I say after a shopping binge! But seriously, something must be done. I'm running out of ways to be creative in storing it! Good luck with your stash sewing. I'll be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Saud. I am in. And am probably gonna steal a lot of your Manifesto. Just saying. It's good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great manifesto! I have been passively sewing from my stash for the last year....I do continue to purchase fabric but not as much as I use to. However my sewing vacation always has some pretty large purchases and frequent purchases :) Good luck on sewing from your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good plan, with good rules for you, I'm glad to be joining you in this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very well thought out plan! I mean Manifesto! I should sew my stash and it is a goal every year, which I never meet! I need to think this out, what will work for me?! I just destashed a bunch of fabric on IG...purging is good! Then of course I promptly ordered more fabric...shoot me now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenn I like that your manifesto allows for the purchase of new fabrics when needed. I would not be able to commit to a no holds barred fabric diet, but love your approach. Article # 3 is particularly appealing to me. I put your button on my sidebar. I need to get my stash winnowed down too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love everything about your manifesto! I am going to try really hard to stick to my stash this year without making a manifesto. I know of at least two fabric lines coming out that I really really want, but I will resolve to enjoy them fully as per your rule!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recently started a scrappy hexie quilt and hope to really make a dent in my stash. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Count me in! I always quilt from my stash. I already added your button to my blog, but will also post about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha! I only wish my stash were out of control!!!! But I do enjoy my fabric...nothing is ever too good to use around here! Happy New year, enjoy all that stashy goodness!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Visiting via Lisa at Sunlight in Winter Quilts who blogged about the Year of the Stash. Funny how things happen sometimes! Last December as I was planning to participate in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge with Angela, I had decided to use older fabric from my stash. I pulled out old fabric and made a few (re)discoveries too. Today is a good time to use up the old stuff. Good luck and enjoy the process. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is great. "Use what I've got" is among my 2016 intentions. I spent 2015 building and organizing my stash and I think it's in a really usable place now. I *did* just order fabric yesterday, but it was for a specific project that could not have been made from my stash as well as solids (the one area my stash is lacking) for an upcoming local workshop and a workshop I'm taking at Quilt Con. I look forward to seeing what treasures you find in your stash and your upcoming finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a lot less fabric than most quilty bloggers I've seen, but it's still too much for me. I do a number of different crafts and feel I have too much of everything, so I will be happy to follow along and purge what I can.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful inspiration, will help me continue what I began in 2015. Thanks so much for putting it all down in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very good!! 2015 I only purchased some solid background yardage and sewed the rest from my stash - it was very fun, and actually liberating. I found things I didn't know existed!! Good luck for 2016 - and enjoy the whole thing!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been participating in a Stashbusters challenge in my local guild for two years now, with the goal of having more out than in each year. They aren't doing it this year, so I'll have to think about doing a manifesto too. I do have a mystery scrappy stash quilt to use up bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read them all and do my best to reply. If you're a no-reply blogger, I can't reply no matter how nice your comment is. Don't know what a no-reply blogger is? Check out this post - http://anyonecandecorate.blogspot.ca/2012/09/are-you-no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix.html